Super Easy & Customizable Golden Milk Recipe
Sometimes I crave something warm to sip on, but I'm not in the mood for coffee or tea. I almost always have a cup of something warm sitting next to me while I work at my desk - but after 11AM coffee just doesn't taste the same and sometimes I want something a little more of a treat than tea. That's when I whisk up a cup of golden milk. It's the perfect warm drink alternative and it is packed full of great health benefits. You likely have all of the ingredients right there in your kitchen and you can make it with whatever ingredients you like and none of the ingredients you don't.
The earthy, spicy blend of turmeric, cinnamon and ginger with the touch of sweetness from honey and creaminess of milk combines for the ultimate hot beverage treat. Or, you can add some ice cubes and make it an iced golden milk, too! It is totally customizable and great any time.
Those health benefits I mentioned earlier? Where here is the breakdown on that:
- Turmeric - This earthy spice, popular in Indian cooking can help decrease inflammation, improve circulation, fight depression, improve your skin's health, lower blood sugar, support your immune system and reduce joint pain. There are so many great health benefits of turmeric!
- Cinnamon - Some people say cinnamon is the world's number one spice. It's high in antioxidants, helps with inflammation and to protect heart health, fights infections and viruses, and helps reduce allergy symptoms. Not to mention it tastes so yummy.
- Ginger - Ginger, in raw or spice form, can help with a lot of things. From treating nausea and easing menstrual pains to helping regulate blood sugar and improving brain function, it is always a tasty and helpful addition to any recipe.
- Honey - Raw, all-natural honey is best (I get mine from Pure Southern Honey) with no additions, just straight up honey from the hive. It is a healthier alternative to sugar, it can help keep you from packing on extra pounds and lower your blood sugar. It provides an easily absorbed boost of energy and boosts your immune system.
Alright, so down to the recipe. I have shared my ingredients and measurements below, but if you don't like one of them then leave it out. Not a fan of turmeric but still want some of its benefits? Just add maybe half of what the recipe calls for. I use almond milk, but you can throw in cow, goat, soy, cashew or whatever milk you have on hand. This recipe is so darn customizable, so just play around with it and make it your own. There are no rules - just the ones you want to create and play by. :)
- 1 tsp. Ground Turmeric (or 1 drop Turmeric essential oil)
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Ginger (or 1 tsp freshly grated Ginger)
- 1 tsp. Honey
- 1 cup Almond Milk (or whatever milk you like!)
Directions: Place turmeric, cinnamon, ginger and honey into a coffee mug. Mix together. Add warmed milk to mug and stir. If you prefer, you can blend it together with a whisk or in a blender. Enjoy!